Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Treasures from Grandma

So in our move from Colorado to Iowa we went from the small one room cabin to our spacious :) 1 bedroom apartment in Dubuque. Since we went straight to the cabin after we got married and did not live anywhere else... we had NO furniture. We used everything that the camp was providing for us including a bed, dresser, night tables and lamps (Thank you Camp Elim!!). We did just recently for our anniversary purchase a new bed frame and headboard so that also needed to come with us but everything else in our apartment was provided for us!!! Praise the Lord for His provision!

I know that His provision did not end there, for instance, the church that Jess attended in Dubuque, Great Adventure Church, donated some items like a couch and television. Our good friends Shawn and Terri gave us a dresser to take with us from Colorado. And I LOVE the items that I have received from my grandma Mary.

Grandma is not doing so hot these days and recently has moved into a nursing home from her house. She was diagnosed with leukemia and I don't know all the details about her treatment but I know that my time with her is limited. I am so grateful of the Lord's timing of moving us back to Iowa so that we can spend more time with her.

Since she had to move from her house to a room at a nursing home, she had furniture pieces that needed to find new homes... I am so grateful and thankful for every big and small thing that we were able to have of hers because now not only do we have furniture to fill our apartment but they are items that remind me of people that I love and that I know love me. For instance....

I remember sitting in this little chair with a stuffed animal on my lap and "reading" my books.

We got this coat rack!! What a fun thing to use EVERY DAY!


We had gotten some initial items and then were thinking that it would be great to have a desk for the computer and to be able to study at when I go back to school. I went back home the next day and my parents had this cute table for me!


Jess loves books and what a wonderful way to display them! My mom told me that my grandpa had this bookshelf made out of some wood that he had been saving for a long time.



And these bowls, I saw some of these in an Antique shop in Colorado Springs and almost bought them... but now I have my grandmas.



And many of you know about the great plate debate that Jess and I have had since before we were married.... we just don't agree, so it was nice to be able to have grandmas instead of needing to purchase something..... so now the debate continues :)
I don't even know what this thing is supposed to be called.... my mom has called it a "dry sink" a couple times.... A dry sink? Really? What does that even mean.... ;) but it is so stinkin' cute for my kitchen.
And we got a dining room table!!! I remember eating at the "little kid table" on this one!

So these are definitely not the only items that I have received from my Grandma. Other items that I truly treasure are the quilts that she made for me and helped me make. That was something that I did with my grandma... made quilts and crocheted. I love that I can look at these "things" and remember such wonderful people. My grandpa and grandma. And even though they are just "things" they represent a lot of wonderful memories.

Please pray for my grandma and her health.

No comments:

Post a Comment