Monday, March 15, 2010

MARCH MADNESS!!!

Once a year, people talk strategy, sleepers and cinderallas as they gather around the television and watch sixty-some games that so many people get obsessed with what the outcome will be. They fill out brackets, enter a pool from school, work, family or online just so they can see who is the luckiest. Of course, it doesn't really matter how much you know about the sport...you will always be wrong...about one game, but most likely about many of them.

The last few years I have noticed, as many of you have, that the less you know about college basketball...the better you do in the bracket challenge. I have prided myself many years because of the hours I have spent on ESPN and watching "Bracketology" and how the experts think it will pan out....but why is it that the person who usually wins the pool that I'm in is always someone who doesn't even know who Dick Vitale is, the person who coined the phrase, "It's awesome baby!!!"

Just yesterday, Dick was on television and Celsey said, "who is that guy, his voice is weird?" I about flipped and responded, "That's Dick, ya know Dick Vitale the famous college sports announcer."

After no response from Cels I said, "Ya know, 'IT'S AWESOME BABY!!' (in my best impersonation voice)" She then responded, "OH!! You mean the guy from Jock Jams? That's him?"

I didn't know how to respond...

But that is my luck. I filled out a bracket today and I have not been watching a lot of College Hoops which is not the normal for this time of year for me. But perhaps that will give me a better chance with my bracket...and, it will also give me a good excuse when my predictions are completely wrong.

It's not that I don't want to watch the games, it's actually a passion of mine. Camp has been really busy the past month which is such an amazing thing to be involved with. I do miss being in the know with college hoops, but don't miss it enough to take time away from the great things that have been going on at Camp Elim.

We wrapped up the last of our 3 winter camps that we run 2 weekends ago and looking back on it, it's hard to believe that it's already been 5 weeks since we started them. It was a privelage to be a part of kids lives being changed. There were a few kids that dedicated or rededicated their lives to Christ, and that is priceless. Someone once said, "Even if one individual is affected, it's monumental with an unusual perspective, that's beautiful in essence." That's exactly how I feel with the work that I'm doing here at Camp.

On another note, I got a birthday card from my Great Aunt and Uncle, along with others. But they said that the snow was pretty much gone and it was turning into spring back in Iowa...this made me a wee bit jealous. Not that I personally know, but everyone says that March and April are the biggest snow months here in Colorado....which means I can't wait until May. I love snow...until January, then I'm ready for the days of heat.

Because of this Celsey and I are very excited to go back to Iowa for a quick visit in a week. We are taking a few students to Discover Emmaus Weekend in Dubuque, and are praying and hoping for sunny weather, so we can roll in the soft green grass. Here in Colorado, Celsey has been vacuuming more than she's ever wanted to trying to keep the mud and dirt out of our house. We are grateful for a small cabin...even more now (less vacuuming...and easier to clean ;)

If you could keep us in your prayers as we travel next weekend, that would be awesome. Also pray for this summer for the campers and for the staff that is coming to work and give their time to serve. Celsey is also trying to take classes without being charged out of state tuition, so pray that they will approve her residency petition. Most importantly, if you could pray for me and Celsey's relationship with each other, as we learn what it means to be a husband and wife the way God has intended it to be.

We miss and love you all.

Jess and Celsey

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Son! 23 years ago you were 1 month and 2 days late coming...finally on March 16th you were here!! One day before St. Patty's Day! We love you and count it a priveledge to pray for you and Celsey! Have a great day! See you next week! Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete